Removal & Installation
Remove the wheel and tire.
WARNINGCare must be taken during the removal of the plug to prevent damage. If the plug is damaged, a new sensor may need to be installed even though the sensor is functional in all other aspects.
- Remove the grommet from the body.
- When removing the body plug, rotate the plug into a position which allows the use of a small screwdriver to release the tabs on the underside of the body plug. These 2 tabs are located at right angles to the sensor wire.
- Disconnect the sensor wiring
Detach the sensor wiring retainer and bolts.
NOTEClean off any dirt that may have collected around the sensor before removal.
Remove the bolt and the sensor.
NOTEThoroughly clean the mounting surface.
To install, reverse the removal procedure. Tighten the sensor bolt to 80 inch lbs. (9 Nm) and the sensor wiring retainer and bolts as shown in the accompanying illustration.
The front wheel speed sensor ring is integral to the front halfshaft and cannot be repaired separately. Refer to the Drive Train Section.Rear
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the wheel hub nut.
- Remove the sensor ring from the wheel hub.
To install, reverse the removal procedure. Tighten the wheel hub nut to 214 ft. lbs. (290 Nm).
The rear wheel speed sensor ring is integral to the rear axle halfshaft and cannot be repaired separately. Refer to the Drive Train Section.