Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist.
- Index-mark the pinion and pinion flange to the rear of the driveshaft.
Remove the 4 bolts and the 2 cap straps. Disconnect and support the driveshaft.
NOTEDiscard the nut after removing it. Install a new nut during installation.
- Using the special tool, hold the pinion flange while removing the nut. Remove the nut.
Index-mark the location of the pinion to the yoke.
Using a puller, remove the pinion flange.
- Using the special tool, remove the seal.
Using a seal driver, install the seal.
NOTELubricate the pinion flange with premium long-life grease.
- Line up the index marks and position the pinion flange.
- Using the special tool, install the pinion nut. Tighten to 180 ft. lbs. (244 Nm).
- Line up the index marks and position the rear driveshaft.
- Install the 2 cap straps and the 4 bolts. Tighten to 17 ft. lbs. (23 Nm).