The APP sensor is an input to the powertrain control module (PCM) and is used to determine the torque demand. There are 3 pedal position signals in the sensor. Signal 1, APPS1, has a negative slope (increasing angle, decreasing voltage) and signals 2 and 3, APPS2 and APPS3, both have a positive slope (increasing angle, increasing voltage). During normal operation APPS1 is used as the indication of pedal position by the strategy. The 3 pedal position signals make sure the PCM receives a correct input even if 1 signal has a concern. There are 2 reference voltage circuits and 2 signal return circuits for the sensor.
Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the battery ground cable.
- Disconnect the accelerator pedal position sensor electrical connector.
- Remove the 3 bolts and the accelerator pedal assembly.
- Install the 3 bolts and the accelerator pedal assembly.
- Tighten the mounting bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
Checking the VREF voltage to the Accelerator Pedal Sensor
Turn the ignition switch to the off position.
Checking the Functionality of the APP sensor.
Turn the ignition off.