- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the -Precautions- section.
If a seat equipped with a seat mounted side air bag and/or a safety belt pretensioner (if equipped) system is being serviced, the supplemental restraint system (SRS) must be depowered.
The air bag warning lamp illuminates when the RCM fuse is removed and the ignition switch is ON. This is normal operation and does not indicate a supplemental restraint system (SRS) fault.
- Turn all vehicle accessories OFF.
- Turn the ignition switch to OFF.
- At the central junction box (CJB), located below the left side of the instrument panel, remove the restraints control module (RCM) fuse (10A) from the CJB.
- Turn the ignition ON and visually monitor the air bag indicator for at least 30 seconds. The air bag indicator will remain lit continuously (no flashing) if the correct RCM fuse has been removed. If the air bag indicator does not remain lit continuously, remove the correct RCM fuse before proceeding.
Turn the ignition
WARNINGTo avoid accidental deployment and possible personal injury, the backup power supply must be depleted before repairing or replacing any front or side air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) components and before servicing, replacing, adjusting or striking components near the front or side air bag sensors or RCM, such as doors, instrument panel, console, door latches, strikers, seats and hood latches. The side impact sensors (if equipped) are located at or near the base of the B-pillars and C-pillars.
CAUTIONTo deplete the backup power supply energy, disconnect the battery ground cable and wait at least one minute. Be sure to disconnect auxiliary batteries and power supplies (if equipped). Disconnect the battery ground cable and wait at least one minute.