Description & Operation
The CMP sensor sends the PCM a signal indicating camshaft position. This signal is used for fuel synchronization.
Removal & Installation
4.0L (VIN E, K) SOHC Engine
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor electrical connector.
- Remove the bolt and the CMP sensor.
Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. Tighten the sensor bolt to:
2005-07 Explorer and Mountaineer; 2007 Sport-Trac: 71 inch lbs. (8 Nm)
- If removing the Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor from the RH side, remove the air cleaner outlet pipe, for access.
- On either CMP, disconnect the CMP sensor electrical connector and remove the bolt and the CMP sensor.
- Installation is the, reverse of the removal procedure. Tighten the retaining bolt to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm)
With the CMP sensor connector disconnected, measure the resistance between the sensor pins. Resistance should be between 250-1000 ohms.