The Knock Sensor (KS) is used to detect engine detonation. It sends a voltage signal to the PCM. The knock sensor is able to provide a signal, which retards the ignition timing, as necessary.
Removal & Installation
4.0L (VIN E, K) SOHC Engine
- Remove the intake manifold. See -Intake Manifold- section.
- Disconnect the Knock Sensor (KS) electrical connector.
- Remove the bolt and the KS.
Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure
- Tighten the retaining bolt to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
- Verify the KS is connected and properly installed.
- With the KS connector disconnected, measure the resistance between the KS pins 1 and 2.
Resistance should be 4.39megaohms-5.35megaohms.