The 4.0L engine use only an Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor, which is part of the electronic engine control system. Refer to -ENGINE PERFORMANCE COMPONENTS- section.
Ford refers to the coolant temperature sensor described below as a Cylinder Head Temperature (CHT) sensor.
4.0L (VIN E, K) SOHC Engine
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the cooling system.
- Disconnect the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor electrical connector.
- Remove the clip and the ECT sensor.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
- Disconnect the battery ground cable.
- Remove the intake manifold.
- Disconnect the Cylinder Head Temperature (CHT) sensor electrical connector.
Remove and discard the CHT sensor.
- Install a new O-ring seal on a new CHT sensor.
- Install the sensor and tighten it to 19 ft. lbs. (26 Nm).
- Connect the electrical connector.
- Install the intake manifold.
- Connect the battery ground cable.