Attach a small piece of hose to the drain cock onto the water-in-fuel sensor.
- Place an approved fuel-resistant container under the fuel filter.
Open the drain cock 3 or 4 turns or until the water contaminated fuel seeps from the drain cock.
- Perform the purging procedure until only diesel fuel drains from the assembly.
- Tighten the drain cock.
- Remove the container and hose.
Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cables.
- If necessary, remove the wheelhouse liner for additional access.
Drain the fuel from the fuel filter as follows:
- Install a hose on the water drain on the water-in-fuel sensor.
- Place the other end of the hose into an approved container.
- Drain as much fuel as possible from the fuel filter housing.
- Tighten the water drain on the water-in-fuel sensor.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Water-in-fuel sensor harness connector
Install or connect the following:
NOTECheck the fuel filter/heater element housing and the filter for a dislocated filter seal or foreign debris. Contamination on the filter/heater housing may cause leakage at the fuel filter. Coat the seal with clean engine oil.
Water-in-fuel sensor in the fuel filter
Fuel filter on the fuel filter/heater element housing
- Purge the fuel system: