Removal & Installation
The ring gear is an integral part of the flywheel and is not replaceable. To remove the flywheel:
- Remove the transmission.
- Remove the six bolts attaching the flywheel to the crankshaft flange. Remove the flywheel.
- Inspect the flywheel for cracks, and inspect the ring gear for burrs or worn teeth. Replace the flywheel if any damage is apparent. Remove burrs with a mill file.
- If equipped with a manual transmission inspect the pilot bearing and replace if necessary.
- If equipped with a spacer between the crankshaft and flywheel, reinstall the spacer.
- Install the flywheel. The flywheel will only attach to the crankshaft in one position, as the bolt holes are unevenly spaced. Install the bolts and tighten in a criss-cross pattern. Refer to the Torque Specifications chart in the Engine Mechanical section of this manual under the Specification Charts sub-section for the proper tightening torques.