Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the battery ground cable.
- Disable the Supplemental Restraint System.
Remove the passenger side knee bolster and the body control module.
WARNINGThe front wheels must be in the straight ahead position and the column must be locked prior to removal. Failure to do so will cause improper alignment and result in damage to the SIR coil assembly.
Place the wheels in the straight ahead position. Remove the steering column as follows:
- Remove the knee bolster and bracket.
- Lock the steering column using tool J42640 through the access hole in the lower column trim cover.
- Remove the Body Control Module (BCM) bracket. Do not disconnect the harness.
- Disconnect the shift cable and electrical connections from the column. Remove the harness retaining pin.
- Remove the upper intermediate shaft pinch bolt from the column, then disconnect the shaft.
Remove the nuts securing the column, then remove it from the vehicle.
- Pull on the lower instrument panel trim plate bezel in order to disengage the retainers. Pull in the following sequence in order to disengage the retainers:
- Unplug the electrical connectors from the switches and power ports mounted on the panel bezel then remove the lower trim panel from the vehicle.
- Remove the instrument panel cluster.
- Remove the lower kick panels.
- Remove the windshield pillar trim panels.
Remove the screws securing the upper trim pad, then lift it up and slide it rearward to disengage the clips. Remove the pad from the vehicle.
Remove the screws securing the passenger side trim pad around the airbag, then remove it from the vehicle.
Remove the passenger side airbag as follows:
- Detach the electrical connection.
- Remove the airbag nuts.
- Carefully remove the airbag assembly from the instrument panel. Refer to the airbag precautions for proper handling of the airbag.
- Remove the radio and control panel.
- Detach the electrical harness from the instrument panel assembly.
- Remove the nuts securing the HVAC ducts, then remove the ducts from the carrier assembly.
Remove the instrument panel carrier nuts and bolts and make sure all retainers are detached, then remove the assembly from the vehicle.
Installation is the reverse of removal. Tighten the instrument panel carrier support bolts to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm). Tighten the steering column bolts to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm); tighten the lower nuts first, then the upper nuts.
WARNINGFailure to installing the column nuts in the correct sequence and tightening specification may result in steering column damage or failure of the column to function as intended in a crash.
When performing service around the SIR system components or wiring, the SIR system MUST be disabled. Failure to do so could result in possible air bag deployment, personal injury or unneeded SIR system repairs.