Removal & Installation
Ford 10.5 Inch Axle & Dana 80 Axle
- Remove the wheels and tires.
- Disconnect the rear anti-lock brake sensor.
- Remove the nuts and the stone shield.
- Remove the caliper pin bolts.
Remove the rear disc brake caliper.
NOTEMake sure the parking brake control is fully released.
Release the tension on the parking brake system.
- Have an assistant pull the front parking brake cable and conduit to its full range.
- Insert a suitable retainer.
- Disconnect the parking brake cable at the parking brake lever.
- Remove the cable clamp bolt.
- Unclip the brake line and remove the retainer from the parking brake cable bracket and position the cable aside.
- Remove the bolt from the brake hose bracket.
- Remove the vent hose at the brake hose junction block.
- Remove the brake junction block from the rear axle housing and let it hang.
Remove the brake lines from the rear axle housing tie strap (but not from the disc brake calipers) and let the tubing hang.
CAUTIONStrap the axle securely to the jack.
- Use a suitable transmission jack to support the axle.
- Remove the lower shock absorber nuts and bolts.
Loosen the nuts from both lower ends of the stabilizer bar links.
NOTEWhen lowering or raising the differential housing, position the sway bar forward to clear the front of the differential housing.
Remove the nuts from both stabilizer bar retainer-to-axle brackets and remove the stabilizer bar retainers, stabilizer bar mounting brackets and U-bolts. Let the stabilizer bar hang from the links.
NOTEOnce the rear spring plate nuts and bolts are removed, new nuts and bolts must be installed.
- Remove the rear spring plate U-bolts and nuts.
- Lower the axle from the vehicle.
To install, reverse the removal procedure. Observe the following torques:
Spring plate U-bolt nuts: 251 Nm (186 ft. lbs.)
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the disc brake caliper bolts and the disc brake caliper. Using mechanics wire, position aside the disc brake caliper.
- Index-mark the driveshaft flange and pinion flange for correct alignment during installation.
Remove the 4 driveshaft flange bolts.
WARNINGThe driveshaft centering socket yoke fits tightly on the pinion flange pilot. Never hammer on the driveshaft or any of its components to disconnect the driveshaft centering socket yoke from the pinion flange. Pry only in the area shown with a suitable tool to disconnect the driveshaft centering socket yoke from the pinion flange.
- Using a suitable tool as shown, disconnect the driveshaft centering socket yoke from the pinion flange. Using mechanic's wire, position the driveshaft aside.
Disconnect the disc brake anti-lock sensor from the axle.
NOTEIf the vent hose is disconnected from the vehicle body, a new retainer must be installed.
- Remove the vent hose.
- Remove the brake hose junction block bolt.
- Separate the parking brake cables from the axle housing.
- Remove the brake line bracket bolt, then remove the brake line from the brake line retaining clips.
Support the axle with a suitable transmission jack.
Remove the lower shock absorber nuts and bolts.
- Remove the spring plate nuts.
- Remove the 2 spring plate U-bolts.
- Remove the spring plate.
- Repeat the procedure for the other side.
- Lower the axle housing from the vehicle.
To install the original assembly, reverse the removal procedure. To install a factory replacement axle assembly, remove the new disc brake calipers and the vent plug. Check the rear axle fluid level after installation. Observe the following torques:
U-bolts: 115 Nm (85 ft. lbs.)