- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle so the wheels fall to the full-down position.
- Have an assistant grasp the lower edge of the tire, then move the wheel and tire assembly in and out.
- Observe the lower end of the knuckle and the lower control arm as the wheel is being moved in and out. Any movement indicates abnormal ball joint wear.
- If there is any movement, install a new lower control arm assembly.
- Lower the vehicle, then connect the negative battery cable.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Ball joints are integral parts of the lower control arms. If inspection reveals an unsatisfactory ball joint, the entire lower control arm assembly must be replaced.