REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Place the ignition switch in the OFF position and the steering column in the unlocked position.
- Remove the hub nut. Loosen, but do not remove, the strut-to-fender apron nuts.
- Raise and safely support the front of the vehicle on jackstands. Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
When raising the vehicle, do not lift it by the lower control arms.
- Remove the brake caliper (support it by a wire) and the rotor.
- At the tie rod end, remove the cotter pin and the castle nut. Discard the cotter pin and replace it with a new one during installation.
- Using Tie-Rod End Remover tool No. 3290-C and the Tie Rod Remover Adapter tool No. T81P-3504-W, or equivalent, separate the tie rod from the steering knuckle.
- Remove the stabilizer bar link nut and the link from the strut.
- Remove the lower arm-to-steering knuckle pinch bolt and nut; it may be necessary to use a drift punch to remove the bolt. Using a small prybar, slightly spread the knuckle-to-lower arm pinch joint and remove the lower arm from the steering knuckle.
- Remove the halfshaft from the hub, then support it by a wire.
When removing the halfshaft, DO NOT allow it to move outward, as the tripod CV-joint could separate from the internal parts, causing failure of the joint.
- Remove the strut-to-steering knuckle pinch bolt. Using a small pry bar, spread the pinch bolt joint and separate the strut from the steering knuckle. Remove the steering knuckle/hub assembly from the strut assembly.
- Remove the strut-to-fender apron nuts and the strut assembly from the vehicle.
- Place a 10mm box-end wrench on top of the shock strut shaft and hold while removing the top shaft mounting nut with a 21mm 6-point crow foot wrench and ratchet.
- Loosen the MacPherson Strut Spring Compressor slowly. Remove the top mount bracket assembly, bearing plate and spring.
When servicing the shock absorber strut, check the spring insulator for damage before assembly. If the outer metal splash shield is bent or damaged, it must be bent back carefully so that it does not touch the locator tabs on the bearing and seal assembly.To install:
- Place the MacPherson Strut Spring Compressor on the base of the strut.
- Install the upper mount and bearing assembly on top of the strut and tighten the spring compressor far enough to install the shaft mounting nut.
- Install the washer and nut on the shock strut shaft, then tighten with the 10mm box-end and the 21mm 6-point crow's foot wrench and ratchet.
- Install the "MacPherson Strut'', as previously outlined.