2.0L (VIN N) & 2.3L (VIN Z) Engines
Refrigerant Compressor Oil (Mineral Oil) F73Z-19577-AA (or equivalent) should be used to lubricate R-134a refrigerant system O-ring seals only and should not be added to the R-134a refrigerant system as an A/C compressor lubricant. PAG Refrigerant Compressor Oil F7AZ-19589-DA (or equivalent) only should be used as an A/C compressor lubricant.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Disconnect battery negative cable from battery and properly isolate to prevent accidental reconnection.
If installing a new air conditioning compressor due to an internal failure of the old unit, you must carry out the following procedures to remove contamination from the air conditioning system:
- If A/C flushing equipment is available, carry out flushing of the air conditioning system prior to installing a new air conditioning compressor.
- If A/C flushing equipment is not available, carry out filtering of the air conditioning system after a new air conditioning compressor has been installed.
- Install a new evaporator core orifice, as directed by the A/C flushing or filtering procedure.
Install a new suction accumulator as directed by the A/C flushing or filtering procedure.
NOTEInstallation of a new suction accumulator is not required when repairing the air conditioning system except when there is physical evidence of contamination from a failed A/C compressor or damage to the suction accumulator.
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- If flushing of the air conditioning system has not been carried out, recover the refrigerant with the A/C service center.
- Remove the cooling fan motor and shroud.
- Remove the bolts and the drive belt cover.
- Remove the drive belt from the A/C compressor pulley.
- Disconnect the field coil electrical connector.
- Remove the bolts and position the power steering line aside (do not detach hose fittings).
- Remove the three compressor bolts and lower the A/C compressor.
Loosen the bolt and remove the A/C compressor and discard the O-ring seals.
- If a new A/C compressor is to be installed, the clutch assembly must be transferred from the old unit to the new unit.
- Install new O-ring seals lubricated in clean PAG oil.
- If filtering of the refrigerant system is not to be carried out, lubricate the refrigerant system with the correct amount of clean PAG oil.
- If filtering of the refrigerant system is not to be carried out, evacuate, leak test and charge the refrigerant system.
Install the A/C compressor and tighten the bolts as follows:
Upper bolt: 15 ft. lbs. (21 Nm)
- Attach the power steering line bracket and tighten the nut to 115 inch lbs. (13 Nm)
- Connect the field coil electrical connector.
- Install the accessory drive belt and cover.
- Install the cooling fan motor and shroud.
- Lower vehicle and reattach negative battery cable.