Removal & Installation
2.0L (VIN N) & 2.3L (VIN Z) Engine
The crankshaft, the crankshaft sprocket and the pulley are fitted together by friction, using diamond washers between the flange faces on each part. For that reason, the crankshaft sprocket is also unfastened if you loosen the pulley. Therefore the engine must be retimed each time the damper is removed. Otherwise severe engine damage can occur.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Disconnect battery negative cable from battery and properly isolate to prevent accidental reconnection.
Remove or disconnect the following:
NOTEIf the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor is damaged during engine front cover removal a new CKP sensor must be installed.
Crankshaft pulley/damper; see -Crankshaft Damper- in this section
CKP sensor electrical connector
Do not use metal scrapers, wire brushes, power abrasive disks or other abrasive means to clean sealing surfaces. These tools cause scratches and gouges which make leak paths.
Clean and inspect the mounting surfaces of the engine and the front cover.
NOTEThe engine front cover must be installed and the bolts tightened within four minutes of applying the silicone gasket and sealant.
- Apply a 2.5-mm bead of silicone gasket and sealant to the cylinder head and oil pan joint areas.
- Apply a 2.5-mm bead of silicone gasket and sealant to the front cover.
Install the front cover. Tighten the bolts in the sequence shown to the following specifications:
Tighten the 8 mm bolts to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm)
- Position the power steering pump and tighten the bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm)
- Install a new O-ring on the PSP tube fitting.
- Connect the power steering PSP tube fitting and tighten the nut to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm)
- Install the power steering pump pulley using special tool 211-185 or a suitable pulley installer.
- Attach the PSP tube bracket and tighten the nut to 10 inch lbs. (13 Nm)
- Connect the PSP switch electrical connector.
- Install the coolant pump pulley and tighten the bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm)
- Install the accessory drive belt idler pulley and tighten the bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm)
- Install the accessory drive belt tensioner and tighten the bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm)
- Install the RH motor mount
- Connect the CKP sensor electrical connector and the wiring harness pin-type retainers.
- Install the crankshaft pulley.
- Connect the battery ground cable.
- Fill and purge the power steering fluid.