- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Disconnect battery negative cable from battery and properly isolate to prevent accidental reconnection.
- Center the steering wheel.
- Disconnect the steering column shaft from the steering gear pinion extension.
- Loosen the front wheel nuts.
- Raise and support the vehicle.
- Remove the wheels.
Remove the tie rod end retaining nuts.
WARNINGWhen the tie rod ends are detached from the wheel knuckles, the ball joint seals must be wrapped in cloth to protect them.
- Detach the tie rod ends from the wheel knuckles using a suitable ball joint press.
- Detach the stabilizer bar links from the strut and spring assemblies.
- Disconnect the fluid cooler hose using a suitable hose fitting tool and allow the fluid to drain into a suitable container.
- Remove the support insulator to transaxle center bolt.
- Remove the steering gear heat shield.
- Detach the hose support clamp.
- Detach the power steering hoses from the steering gear.
- Using a suitable jack, support the crossmember.
- Remove the six crossmember bolts.
- Lower the crossmember.
- Remove the steering column coupling shaft and floor seal.
Remove the steering gear.
- Install a new high pressure hose O-ring seal (3F886-AA) and a new return hose O-ring seal (3F886-BA).
Install the steering gear and torque the bolts to 59 ft. lbs. (80 Nm)
NOTEVisually inspect the floor seal before installation. Make sure the sealing surface of the floor seal is clean and not permanently deformed. The foam portion of the floor seal should be between 20-25 mm.
- Install a new floor seal if below the specified value.
- Install the steering column coupling shaft and floor seal.
- Align the crossmember using suitable alignment pins.
- Raise the crossmember, engaging the guide pins into the chassis aligning holes.
- Install the crossmember bolts and tighten to 85 ft. lbs. (115 Nm) and 148 ft. lbs. (200 Nm) as shown in the diagram.
- Remove the transmission jack.
- Remove the subframe alignment pins.
- Install the power steering hoses.
- Install the hose support clamp and securely tighten.
- Install the steering gear heat shield.
- Install the support insulator to transaxle center bolt and tighten to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm)
- Connect the fluid cooler hose.
Install the stabilizer bar links to the strut and spring assemblies and tighten to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm)
CAUTIONInstall new tie rod end retaining nuts. Failure to follow this instruction may result in personal injury.
- Install the tie rod ends and tighten the nuts to 35 ft. lbs. (47 Nm)
Install the wheels and tighten the nuts to 94 ft. lbs. (128 Nm)
NOTEMake sure the steering is in the straight-ahead position before lowering the vehicle.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Using a new clamp bolt, connect the steering column coupling shaft to the steering gear pinion extension and tighten to 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm)
- Install the instrument panel lower panel.
- Fill the system.
- If a new steering gear has been installed, check the toe adjustment.