REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
This procedure can be completed with the transmission assembly bolted to the engine.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- With the emergency brake fully engaged, place the vehicle in NEUTRAL with blocks behind the rear wheels to prevent any vehicle movement.
- Raise the vehicle and safely support it on jackstands.
- From underneath the vehicle, tag and remove the wires attached to the reverse light switch neutral sensing switch, if equipped.
- Place a drip pan of suitable size to catch any fluid which may spill while removing and installing the switch(es).
- Scribe an alignment mark on the driveshaft and rear axle flange to index the driveline position for installation and balance purposes. Place a drip pan below the transmission where the driveshaft attaches to the transmission to catch any fluid which may spill out.
- Remove the U-bolts and nuts from the rear axle flange, then remove the driveshaft. Cap the transmission extension housing to prevent lubricant leakage.
- Place jackstands under the extension housing and remove the transmission mounting nuts and bolts.
- Loosen and remove the extension housing retainer bolts using a suitable socket or open-ended wrench.
- Carefully remove the extension housing from the vehicle.
- Remove the extension housing gasket and clean all material from the mating surfaces.
- Apply a light coating of petroleum jelly or equivalent to the extension housing seal, then position it on the transmission.
- Slide the extension housing into position against the transmission making sure you do not distort the housing gasket. Install the retainer bolts and tighten to 27-38 ft. lbs. (36-52 Nm).
- Remove the cap from the extension housing, then install the driveshaft, making sure the marks scribed on the driveshaft and rear axle flange are in alignment. Install the U-bolts and nuts and tighten the nuts to 8-15 ft. lbs. (11-20 Nm).
- Install the transmission mounting nuts and bolts and tighten to 60-80 ft. lbs. (82-108 Nm).
- Install the reverse light switch and neutral sensing switch, if equipped, into the hole using a new crush washer and tighten.
- Connect the wire harness to the switch.
- Lower the vehicle and connect the negative battery cable. Check the fluid level and add fluid if needed.