REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
This procedure requires the evacuating and recharging of the A/C refrigerant. An approved recycling/recovery machine is needed to do this. If you do not have the proper certification in addition to the necessary equipment, you must consult a certified professional to evacuate the system before you start the procedure, and recharge the system when the job is complete.
- Determine whether your particular A/C system uses R-12 or R-134a refrigerant. Most vehicles have identification stickers placed in the engine compartment and on certain components of the A/C system to alert you to which type of refrigerant is used.
- Have the A/C refrigerant properly evacuated using an approved recovery/recycling machine.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the cooling system.
- Remove the bench seat behind the front driver seat. Refer to Routine Maintenance 0 for a detailed removal and installation procedure.
- Remove the side panel service cover.
- Remove the floor duct screws and carefully rotate the duct down and out.
- Disconnect the suction line at the quick-disconnect coupling. There is a tool made for this purpose. Cap all openings at once!
- Disconnect the solenoid bracket at the case.
- Using a backup wrench, disconnect the evaporator core at the solenoid valve.
- Remove the 16 case cover screws and lift off the cover.
- Remove the resistor block connector.
- Lift out the core.
- Install a new core seal at the tube end of the core.
- Install a new O-ring, lubricated with clean refrigerant oil, on the core inlet line and the liquid line tube O-fitting.
- Carefully place the core in the case and align the inlet tube with the solenoid. Using a backup wrench, tighten the connections to 15-20 ft. lbs. (20-27 Nm).
- Install the solenoid bracket.
- Using a new O-ring coated with clean refrigerant oil, connect the quick-connect coupling. A definite click should be heard, indicating the line is secure.
- Wrap the suction line with insulating tape.
- Connect the resistor wiring.
- Install the case cover.
- Install the duct.
- Evacuate, charge and leak test the system using approved A/C equipment. See Routine Maintenance .
- Install the side panel service cover.
- Install the bench seat.