REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the bench seat behind the driver's front seat. Refer to Routine Maintenance 0 for a detailed procedure.
- Remove the service panel from the interior panel on the driver's side of the vehicle.
- Drain the cooling system into a suitable container.
When draining the coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted to ethylene glycol antifreeze, and could drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantity. Always drain the coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or several years old.
- Disconnect the wire harness attached to the solenoid.
- Loosen and remove the retainer screws securing the solenoid to the evaporator bracket.
- Disconnect the solenoid from the heater water hoses using a flat-bladed screwdriver or equivalent.
- Disconnect the solenoid valve from the heater core using a suitable flare-end wrench or equivalent. Remove the O-rings and discard.
- Install new O-rings to the heater core assembly.
- Connect the solenoid to the heater water hoses, tightening the clamps hand-tight.
- Attach the solenoid to evaporator bracket using the retainer screws removed earlier to secure it in place.
- Using a suitable flare-end wrench, connect the solenoid valve to the heater core.
- Fill the cooling system and bleed.
- Start the vehicle, and allow it to reach normal operating temperature. Turn the auxiliary heat on and make sure it functions correctly.