REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
This procedure allows the removal and installation of the power brake booster without disconnecting any brake fluid lines, thereby avoiding the necessity of bleeding the brake system. If the removal of the master cylinder is desired, refer to the procedure located earlier in this section.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Detach the brake warning lamp connector.
- Support the master cylinder from underneath with a prop or using a similar method.
- Remove the nuts retaining the master cylinder to the brake booster. Do not remove, or even loosen, the brake fluid lines from the master cylinder. Allow the master cylinder to temporarily remain seated on the booster while removing the remaining components.
- Loosen the clamp that secures the manifold vacuum hose to the booster check valve, then remove the hose. Remove the booster check valve from the booster only if a new booster will be installed.
- From inside the vehicle, for vehicles equipped with a pushrod mounted brake light switch, remove the hairpin retainer, then slide the brake light switch, pushrod, spacers and bushing off the brake pedal arm.
- Remove the nuts that hold the booster to the firewall.
- Pull the master cylinder off the brake power booster enough to remove the booster from the firewall. Make sure that the master cylinder will be supported adequately while the booster is out of the vehicle.
Check the pushrod extension as described earlier in this section, before installing the master cylinder onto the booster.
- Mount the booster assembly on the engine side of the firewall by sliding the bracket mounting bolts and valve operating rod in through the holes in the dash panel.
- From inside the van, install the booster retaining nuts.
- Position the master cylinder on the booster assembly, install the retaining nuts, and remove the prop from underneath the master cylinder.
- Install the booster check valve. Connect the manifold vacuum hose to the booster check valve and secure it with a clamp.
- From inside the van on vehicles equipped with the pushrod mounted stop lamp switch, install the bushing and position the switch on the end of the pushrod. Then install the switch and rod on the pedal arm, along with the spacers on each side, and secure with the hairpin retainer.
- Connect the stop lamp switch wiring.
- Start the engine and check the brake operation.
For the pushrod adjustment procedure refer to the brake pedal adjustment procedures located at the beginning of this section.