REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
When removing the battery cables, always remove the negative cable prior to the positive cable.
- Remove the battery cables from the battery terminals.
- Remove the battery hold-down clamp.
- Remove the battery from the engine bay of the vehicle.
- Clean the cable terminals and battery hold-down clamp with a wire brush. Replace all cables or parts which exhibit damage.
- Clean the battery tray with a wire brush and scraper.
- Place the battery in the battery tray with the positive and negative terminals in the same position as with the previous battery.
- Assemble and tighten the battery hold-down clamp so that the battery is securely held in the battery tray. Do not tighten excessively.
When the battery is disconnected and reconnected, some abnormal drive symptoms may occur while the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) relearns its adaptive strategy. The vehicle may need to be driven 10 miles (16 km) or more for the PCM to relearn the strategy.
- Secure the cables (positive cable first) to the proper terminals on the battery. Tighten the battery cable terminal clamps to 5-7 ft. lbs. (7-10 Nm). Apply petroleum jelly to the terminals (this helps fight corrosion).