See Figures 1 and 2
The camshaft position sensor relays the relative camshaft position to the powertrain control module for determining the position and stroke of the No. 1 cylinder.
This information is required for proper fuel injection functioning.
See Figure 3
- Make sure the camshaft position sensor harness is connected to the sensor. Inspect the wire for any breaks.
- Turn the key to the ON position.
- Disconnect the wire harness from the sensor. And test for current between the center terminal and the negative terminal of the battery. Voltage should register greater than 10.5 volts. If there is no current check the fuse box for a blown fuse, or a broken wire in the harness.
- Connect a breakout box between the powertrain control module and control module wire harness.
- Start the engine and allow it to reach normal operating temperature.
- Record the voltage between the sensor and vehicle ground at different idle speeds. If the voltage varies more than 0.1 volts the sensor is functioning correctly.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 4
When the battery cable has been disconnected and reconnected, some abnormal drive symptoms may occur while the powertrain control module relearns its adaptive strategy. The vehicle may need to be driven 10 miles (16 km) or more to relearn the adaptive strategy.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Set engine cylinder No. 1 to top dead center of the compression stroke. Scribe an alignment mark on the sensor and engine block for proper sensor alignment during installation.
- Unfasten the harness attached to the camshaft position sensor.
- Remove the retainer bolt secure the position sensor in place. Lift the sensor out of the engine.
- Slide the camshaft position sensor into place, making sure the alignment mark on the sensor aligns with the mark on the engine.
- Install the retainer bolt and tighten to 13-15 ft. lbs. (17-19 Nm).
- Fasten the wire harness to the position sensor.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Start the vehicle and check for proper vehicle operation.