Although Ford suggests that this component is removable while the engine is installed in teh vhicle, depending on teh particular options with which your Aerostar is equipped, working clearance may be extremely tight and this procedure may be much easier to perform with the engine removed. Before commencing, read through this procedure and make certain enough clearance, or working room, exists with the engine in the vehicle; if there is not enough space, the engine should be removed.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION2.8L Engine
See Figure 1
- Remove the front timing gear cover, as described earlier in thissection.
- Temporarily install the crankshaft pulley nut and rotate the engine by hand until the timing marks are in alignment as illustrated.
- Remove the timing gear bolts and slide the gears off the crankshaft and camshaft using a suitable gear puller.
- Position the gears onto the camshaft and crankshaft with the timing marks aligned.
- Install the crankshaft pulley nut. Draw the crankshaft gear onto the crankshaft by tightening the pulley nut. Make sure that the gear is correctly seated. Perform the same with the camshaft timing gear.
- Tighten the camshaft gear bolt to 30-36 ft. lbs. (41-49 Nm).
- Install the timing gear cover, as described earlier in this section.