REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
2.3L, 2.8L and 1987-88 3.0L Engines
- Remove the two nuts at the muffler flange.
- Apply a soap solution to the surface of the exhaust hanger slides at the support insulators.
- Force the support slides out of the rubber insulators.
- Remove the muffler and outlet pipe assembly by sliding forward, out over the axle housing.
- Position the muffler and outlet pipe assembly to the converter and inlet pipe assembly by sliding it in over the axle housing.
- Apply a soap solution to the metal support slides.
- Force the metal support slides through the rubber insulators.
- Install the two nuts to the muffler flange and tighten them to 18-26 ft. lbs. (25-35 Nm).
- Remove the 2 nuts at the muffler flange.
- While supporting the muffler, remove the bolt from the outlet pipe hanger.
- Remove the nut and bolt from the front hanger, and remove the muffler and outlet pipe.
- Install the muffler and outlet pipe over the rear axle.
- Install the front and rear hangers. Tighten the bolts to 15-20 ft. lbs. (20-27 Nm).
- Place a new non-asbestos gasket between the muffler/outlet pipe and the converter/inlet pipe. Install the bolts and nuts, then tighten them to 15-20 ft. lbs. (20-27 Nm).