The ability of any axle to deliver quiet, trouble free operation over a period of years is largely dependent upon the use of a good quality gear lubricant. Ford recommends the use of hypoid gear lubricant part number E0AZ-19580-A, E0AZ-19580-AA or any equivalent lubricant meeting Ford specification ESP-M2C154-A in their conventional or Traction-Lok® axles. Aerostar equipped with Dana axles should use hypoid gear lubricant part number C6AZ-19580-E or any equivalent lubricant meeting Ford specification ESW-M2C105-A.
Traction-Lok® limited slip rear axles also require approximately four ounces of friction modifier part number C8AZ-19B546-A or equivalent fluid meeting EST-M2C118-A specifications whenever the fluid is changed. This amount is added to the normal fluid capacity.
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
To check the fluid level in the rear axle, remove the filler plug located on the side of the axle housing and make sure the axle fluid is within 1 / 4 in. (6mm) below the bottom of the filler hole. If not, top up by adding lubricant through the filler hole. Do not overfill.
If any water is noted in the axle when checking the fluid level, the axle lubricant should be drained and replaced. Change the axle lubricant if the axle is submerged in water, especially if the water covers the vent hole.
DRAIN AND REFILL
See Figures 4 through 9
- Drive the vehicle for 10-15 miles (16-24 km) at highway speeds to warm the axle lubricant to operating temperature to maximize the fluids' ability to flow.
- Raise the vehicle and support it safely with jackstands. Place a drain pan under the axle.
- From the rear of the vehicle, unfasten the brake line attached to the rear axle gear cover.
- Use a wire brush and clean around the axle gear cover.
- Loosen and remove all the cover plate retainer bolts EXCEPT two. These two you will loosen but not remove at this time.
- With a suitable pan under the rear axle, pry the cover away from the gear and axle assembly to allow the fluid to drain.
- Once most of the fluid has drained, remove the remaining bolts and lift the cover away.
- Remove all gasket material from both mating surfaces.
- Apply a 1 / 4 in. (4mm) wide bead of silicone gasket sealant around the inside circumference of the axle housing.
- Install the cover with the retainer bolts. Tighten the bolts in a crisscross pattern to 25-35 ft. lbs. (34-47 Nm).
- Fill the axle housing with 3.5 pints of the specified hypoid gear lubricant (3.6 pints on Dana axles), then check the fluid level. On Traction-Lok® limited slip rear axles, in addition to the specified lubricant amount, add approximately four ounces of friction modifier part number C8AZ-19B546-A or equivalent fluid meeting EST-M2C118-A specifications. Top off if necessary, but do not overfill.
- Install the filler plug and tighten it to 15-30 ft. lbs. (20-40 Nm).