REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Raise the vehicle and support safely with jackstands.
- Place a floor jack or equivalent under the axle and remove the axle assembly from the vehicle. Refer to the procedure in this section.
- Place the axle on a clean surface.
- Remove the cover plate, and drain the lubricant into a suitable container. Mount the axle assembly into a secure holding fixture.
- Rotate the axle shafts so the open side of the snapring is visible. Remove the snaprings using care not to damage them.
- Remove the axle shaft(s) from the axle housing.
- Remove the oil seal and caged needle bearings using a slide hammer and collet T50T-100-A and D80L-100-T, or equivalent pulling fixture. When removed, discard the seal and bearing.
- Inspect the counterbore for burrs. Use an oilstone, if needed, to remove any marks.
- Make sure the bearing bore is free from nicks and burrs. Install the needle bearing using bearing installer T83T-1244-A or equivalent. Drive in the bearing until seated fully.
- Coat the new seal with multi-purpose lubricant and drive the seal into the bore using seal installer T90T-3110-A or equivalent.
- Install the axle shafts and drive the snapring into the axle grooves. Do not drive the snapring using the center of the ring. Use a suitable tool against the notches on the side of the snapring. Replace any snapring that is damaged.
- Apply RTV gasket sealer to the cover plate and install. Tighten the cover bolts to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm).
- Refill the axle assembly with Hypoid gear lubricant.
- Install the axle assembly into the vehicle.
- Lower the vehicle.