REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
The Aerostar uses a urethane type sealed windshield which requires the use of special tools for removal and installation. It is advised that if the windshield needs replacement, the vehicle be taken to a professional glass shop.
- Remove the windshield wiper pivot arm and wiper blade.
Remove the windshield moulding, glass stops and retainers as follows:
- Remove the cowl top outer panel.
Do not pry against the windshield glass since breakage might result.
- Pry one end of the moulding up from the windshield glass and sheet metal approximately 4 in. (10cm).
- Pull the moulding up slowly from the windshield glass opening until the entire moulding has been removed.
- Remove the interior trim to prevent damage during windshield glass removal.
- Remove the inside visor retaining screws, then remove the visors. Detach the electrical connector from the vanity mirror, if equipped.
- Use a thin-bladed screwdriver to loosen the setscrew for the rearview mirror through the access hole.
- Loosen the roof trim panel near the windshield glass. Insert styrofoam blocks under the roof trim panel to move it away from the windshield glass and prevent damage.
- Spray lubricant ECL-784, or equivalent, around the area of urethane to be cut.
- Insert a 4 in. (10 cm) blade in the Rotunda Tool 163-00001 or equivalent. From the interior of the vehicle, cut the urethane beginning at the upper center and continuing to the lower driver's side, then from the center down to the passenger's side.
Be careful to cut through the urethane in the corner of the windshield glass, where the urethane is thicker.
- Insert a 12 in. (30 cm) blade into the cutting tool, then bend the blade to match the contour of the dash panel. Cut the bottom portion of the windshield glass urethane.
- Using a long-handled razor knife, remove any remaining pieces of urethane.
- Lift the windshield glass out of the vehicle.
- Clean the pinch weld. Do not damage the dress moulding.
Refer to the manufacturer's directions for the exact curing time of the urethane being used.
- Remove any remaining urethane from the windshield glass.
- Apply Essex No. 3 or equivalent primer, around the windshield glass.
- Install a new foam dam onto the pinchweld.
- Apply Essex No. 4 urethane, or equivalent, then position the windshield glass onto the vehicle.
- Install the roof trim panel, inside visor, and trim.
- Let the urethane sealing the windshield cure for at least 24 hours.
- Leave the front door window open to prevent damage to the windshield glass seal from pressure when closing the door.
Install the windshield moulding as follows:
- New windshield moulding must be used.
- Pre-fit the new moulding in the windshield glass opening, then trim the excess urethane in the moulding cavity for proper moulding fit.
- Remove the pre-fitted moulding and apply a sufficient amount of Urethane Sealer ESB-M2G246, or equivalent, into the cavity between the sheet metal and the windshield glass that retains the moulding.
- Align the centering notch on the moulding with the centering mark in the ceramic paint at the top of the windshield glass.
- Push the moulding into the cavity between the windshield glass and the sheet metal, along the roof and the pillars.
- Install the cowl top outer panel, then clean all excess urethane from the surrounding body panels.
- Install the glass stops and retainers.
- Install the windshield wiper pivot arm and windshield wiper blade.