REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
The reverse switch is accessed from under the vehicle on the driver's side.
On 1986-91 models, there are two switches attached to the transmission on the driver's side. One switch is the neutral sensing switch, the other is the reverse switch. The reverse switch is located lower than the neutral sensing switch and is closer to the engine block.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- With the emergency brake fully engaged, place the vehicle in NEUTRAL with blocks behind the rear wheels to prevent any vehicle movement.
- Raise the vehicle and safely support it on jackstands.
- From underneath the vehicle, remove the wires attached to the reverse switch.
- Place a drip pan of suitable size to catch any fluid which may spill while removing and installing the reverse switch. Using a suitable open-ended wrench or socket, remove the reverse switch. Remove the crush washer and discard.
- Install the reverse switch into the hole using a new crush washer and tighten.
- Connect the wire harness to the reverse switch.
- Lower the vehicle and connect the negative battery cable. Check the fluid level and add fluid if needed.
- Place the vehicle in reverse and have an assistant check to make sure the reverse light functions correctly.