REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 6
- Raise the vehicle and support safely on jackstands.
- Remove the rear wheels and brake drums.
- Clean all dirt and grease from the area of the carrier cover with a wire brush and/or cloth.
- Drain the rear axle lubricant into a suitable container by removing the housing cover.
- For 3.45:1 ratio axles, remove the differential pinion shaft lockbolt, then slide out the differential pinion shaft. The pinion gears may be left in place. Once the axle shafts are removed, reinstall the pinion shaft and lockbolt.
- For 3.45:1 ratio axles, push the flanged end of the axle shafts toward the center of the vehicle and remove the C-lockwasher from the button end of the axle shaft.
- For 3.45:1 ratio axles, remove the axle shaft from the housing, being careful not to damage the oil seal.
- For 3.73:1 and 4.10:1 ratio axles, remove the pinion shaft lockbolt.
- For 3.73:1 and 4.10:1 ratio axles, place your hand behind the differential case and push out the pinion shaft until the step on the shaft contacts the ring gear.
- For 3.73:1 and 4.10:1 ratio axles, remove the C-lockwasher from the axle shafts.
- For 3.73:1 and 4.10:1 ratio axles, remove the axle shafts from the housing, being careful not to damage the oil seal.
- On 3.73:1 and 4.10:1 ratio axles, make sure the differential pinion shaft step contacts the ring gear before sliding the axle shaft into the axle housing. Start the splines into the side gear and push firmly until the button end of the axle shaft can be seen in the differential case.
- Install the C-lockwasher on the button end of the axle shaft splines, the pull the shaft outboard until the shaft splines engage and the C-lockwasher seats in the counterbore of the differential side gear.
- Position the differential pinion shaft through the case and pinion gears, aligning the hole in the shaft with the lockscrew hole. Install the lockbolt and tighten to 15-22 ft. lbs. (21-29 Nm).
- Apply a continuous bead of silicone rubber sealant to the carrier casting face. Make sure the machined surface on both cover and carrier are clean before applying sealer.
- Install the cover and tighten the cover bolts to 15-20 ft. lbs. (21-27 Nm), except the ratio tag bolt, which is tightened to 15-25 ft. lbs. (30-34 Nm).
The cover assembly must be installed within 15 minutes of application of the sealer or new sealer must be applied.
- Install the wheels and tires. Lower the vehicle.
- Add lubricant until it is about 1 / 2 in. (13mm) below the bottom of the filler hole in the running position. Install the filler plug and tighten it to 15-30 ft. lbs. (20-41 Nm).