REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Rotate the lock cylinder key to the LOCK position and disconnect the negative battery cable.
- For 1986-91 models with tilt columns, remove the upper extension shroud by squeezing it at the six and twelve o'clock positions and popping it free of the retaining plate at the three o'clock position.
- Remove the two trim shroud halves by removing the two attaching screws.
- Detach the ignition switch electrical connector.
- For 1986-91 models, drill out the break-off head bolts connecting the switch to the lock cylinder housing with a 1 / 8 in. (3mm) drill, then remove the two bolts using an EX-3 screw extractor tool or equivalent screw extractor.
- For 1992-96 models, remove the two retaining screws from the ignition switch.
- Disengage the ignition switch from the actuator pin and remove the switch.
- Rotate the ignition key to the RUN position (approximately 90° clockwise from LOCK).
- Install the replacement switch by aligning the holes on the switch casting base with the holes in the lock cylinder housing. Note that the replacement switch is provided in the RUN position. Minor movement of the lock cylinder to align the actuator pin with the U-shaped slot in the switch carrier may be necessary.
- Install new break-off head bolts and tighten until the heads shear off.
- Attach the electrical connector to the ignition switch.
- Connect the negative battery terminal, then check the ignition switch for proper operation in all modes. If correct, install the steering column shrouds.