REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Raise the vehicle and support it safely with jackstands.
- Place a suitable drain pan under the transfer case.
- Remove the transfer case drain plug and drain the fluid from the assembly.
Mark the driveshaft and flanges so they can be reassembled in their original position.
- Place a suitable drain pan below the transfer case where it connects to the front driveshaft. Loosen and remove the retainer bolts securing the front driveshaft to the front axle assembly. Separate the driveshaft from the transfer case and place aside.
- Remove the locknut from the front output shaft using locknut wrench T90T-7127-E or equivalent. Hold the nut and turn the splines of the output shaft to remove the nut.
- Remove the deflector from the front output shaft.
- Remove the steel bushing from the shaft assembly.
- Use seal remover T90T-1175-AC or equivalent to remove the front output shaft seal.
- Inspect the counterbore of the transfer case for any burrs and clean, if needed, with an oilstone.
- Lubricate the new seal with Mercon® type transmission fluid.
- Install the seal in the transfer case using seal replacer T90T-7127-D or equivalent. Install until the seal bottoms out in the transfer case.
- Install the steel bushing on the output shaft with the inner diameter O-ring groove toward the O-ring in the seal.
- Install the deflector to the assembly.
- Apply Loctite® to the locknut. Use shaft holder tool T90T-7127-F or equivalent and locknut wrench T90T-7127-E or equivalent to install the locknut. Tighten the locknut to 115-165 ft. lbs. (156-224 Nm).
- Install the front driveshaft.
- Lower the vehicle and add fluid to the transfer case.