REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
- Remove the brake pads.
- Remove the banjo bolt securing the brake hose to the caliper and plug the hose end. Discard and replace the two copper sealing washers.
- Remove the two caliper retaining bolts.
- Remove the caliper and the anti-squeak caps from the vehicle.
- Install the anti-squeak caps.
- Position the caliper on the steering knuckle and install the two caliper retaining bolts. Tighten the caliper retaining bolts to 29-36 ft. lbs. (39-49 Nm).
- Connect the brake hose to the caliper using the banjo bolt and two new copper sealing washers. Tighten the banjo bolt to 16-22 ft. lbs. (22-29 Nm).
- Install the brake pads and bleed the brake system.
- Install the wheel and tire assembly.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Apply the brake pedal several times to position the brake pads, before attempting to move the vehicle.
- Check for proper brake operation.
See Figures 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13
Some vehicles may be equipped dual piston calipers. The procedure to overhaul the caliper is essentially the same with the exception of multiple pistons, O-rings and dust boots.
- Remove the caliper from the vehicle and place on a clean workbench.
Depending upon the vehicle, there are two different ways to remove the piston from the caliper. Refer to the brake pad replacement procedure to make sure you have the correct procedure for your vehicle.
The first method is as follows:
- Stuff a shop towel or a block of wood into the caliper to catch the piston.
- Remove the caliper piston by applying compressed air into the caliper inlet hole. Inspect the piston for scoring, nicks, corrosion and/or worn or damaged chrome plating. The piston must be replaced if any of these conditions are found.
- For the second method, you must rotate the piston to retract it from the caliper.
- If equipped, remove the anti-rattle clip.
- Use a prytool to remove the caliper boot, being careful not to scratch the housing bore.
- Remove the piston seals from the