See Figure 1
The ignition coil is mounted in the distributor.
- Disengage the wire(s) from the coil.
- Use an ohmmeter, connected as illustrated, to measure the resistance on the primary side of the coil; the resistance should be 0.5-0.7 ohms.
- Use an ohmmeter, connected as illustrated, to measure the resistance on the secondary side of the coil; as illustrated. the resistance should be 20-31 kilohms.
- If the resistance readings are not within specifications, the coil is defective and the distributor assembly must be replaced.
- If resistance readings are within specifications, there may be a larger problem with the EEC system. It may be necessary to have the system further tested (because of the extensive knowledge, experience and equipment necessary to perform this testing) by a professional automotive technician.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 2
The ignition coil is an integral part of the distributor assembly. If the coil is defective, the whole distributor assembly must be replaced.