REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Remove the battery.
- Remove the timing belt and valve cover.
- Remove the camshaft sprocket and distributor.
- Remove the rocker arm assemblies.
- Loosen the camshaft thrust plate bolt and remove the thrust plate.
- Gently pull camshaft from the left-hand side of the cylinder head.
- Clean the camshaft and cylinder head surface.
Inspect the camshaft oil seal and replace it if necessary.
- Coat the surfaces of the camshaft with clean engine oil and gently install the camshaft in the left-hand side of the cylinder head.
- Install the camshaft thrust plate and bolt. Tighten the bolt to 71-88 inch lbs. (8-10 Nm).
- Install the rocker arm assemblies and the distributor.
- Install the camshaft sprocket.
- Install the valve cover and the timing belt.
- Adjust the camshaft timing, as described in the Timing Belt procedure.
- Install the battery.
- Start the car and check for proper engine operation.
See Figure 3
- Set the crankshaft at Top Dead Center (TDC).
- Unplug the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor.
- Remove the MAF sensor and air cleaner-to-intake manifold tube.
- Remove the drive belts.
- Remove the water pump pulley by holding the pulley with strap wrench D85L-6000-A or equivalent and loosen the bolts.
- Remove the upper timing cover.
- Make sure the timing mark on the camshaft sprocket is aligned with the pointer on the cylinder head.
- If the camshaft mark is not in sight, turn the camshaft one complete turn and check the timing mark alignment.
- If the marks are aligned, the camshaft is properly timed.
- If the marks are not aligned, continue with the adjustment procedure.
- Remove the timing belt and the spark plugs.
- Turn the crankshaft until the timing marks on the crankshaft sprocket and the oil pump housing align.
- Turn the camshaft until the timing marks on the camshaft sprocket and cylinder head are aligned.
- Install the timing belt and the spark plugs.
- Install the upper engine front cover.
- Install the water pump pulley and tighten the bolts to 36-45 ft. lbs. (49-61 Nm).
- Install the drive belts.
- Install the MAF sensor and air cleaner-to-intake manifold tube.
- Engage the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor electrical connector.