REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the radiator cap.
- Place a suitable container under the radiator petcock, then open the petcock and drain the cooling system.
- Tag and disconnect the spark plug wires from the plugs.
- Remove the distributor, as described in Engine Electrical .
- Remove the timing belt and valve cover, as described elsewhere in this section.
- Remove the exhaust and intake manifolds, as described earlier in this section.
- Remove the front and rear engine lift hangers. Disengage the engine ground wire.
- Tag and disengage all wire harness connectors.
- Use a pair of pliers to compress the upper radiator hose clamp and slide it away from the radiator. Disconnect the upper radiator hose from the radiator.
- Remove the water bypass tube or hose and bracket.
It is advisable to loosen the cylinder head bolts in the opposite order of their tightening sequence.
- Remove the cylinder head bolts (10).
- Remove the cylinder head and gasket from the engine.
The cylinder head must be cleaned and inspected before installation. Please refer to the ENGINE RECONDITIONING procedures later in this section.
- Use a scraper to clean any old gasket material residue from the cylinder head gasket mating surfaces.
The cylinder head gasket has marks on one of its edges that match the shape of the cylinder head; when the gasket is installed, these marks must align properly before cylinder head installation.
- Install a new gasket and place the cylinder head in position.
Install NEW cylinder head bolts and tighten them with a torque wrench in the sequence illustrated and also in the following order:
First pass: 35-40 ft. lbs. (50-60 Nm)
- Install the water bypass tube or hose and bracket.
- Connect the upper radiator hose and engage the clamp.
- Fasten all wire harness connectors.
- Attach the engine ground wire, then install the front and rear engine lift hangers.
- Install the distributor.
- Install the intake and exhaust manifolds.
- Install the timing belt.
- Install the valve cover.
- Connect the spark plug wires to the plugs.
- Fill the cooling system and install the radiator cap.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Start the engine and check for leaks, especially when it reaches operating temperature.