REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Open the liftgate and support it with a suitable prop, such as a broom handle. It is a good idea to have an assistant support the liftgate as well.
- Remove the right-hand luggage compartment side cover.
- Remove the quarter trim panel and upper trim panel.
- Disengage the electrical connector and pull the wiring harness through the C-pillar.
- Remove the access plug and grommet, and detach the washer hose.
- Loosen the hydraulic lift bolts.
- Unfasten the lift ball joint and remove the lift.
- Have an assistant support the door.
- Mark the hinge-to-liftgate location.
- Loosen the hinge-to-liftgate nuts and, with the aid of an assistant, remove the liftgate.
- Install the liftgate and align the hinges with the marks made prior to removal.
- Install the hinge-to-liftgate nuts and tighten them to 7-9 ft. lbs. (9-12 Nm).
- Install the hydraulic lift and engage the ball joint. Tighten the lift bolts to 14-18 ft. lbs. (19-25 Nm).
- Connect the washer hose and install the access plug and grommet.
- Route the wiring harness through the C-pillar and engage the electrical connector.
- Install the trim panels and side cover.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Adjust the liftgate alignment as necessary.
- Make sure the liftgate can be closed easily and that there is no looseness in the hinges. If the hinges cannot be tightened, they must be replaced.
- If there is excessive play when the liftgate is closed, adjust the latch striker.
- Loosen the latch striker bolts and adjust the striker as necessary.
- Tighten the latch striker bolts to 71-97 inch lbs. (8-11 Nm).
- If the liftgate-to-body clearance is excessive or uneven, loosen the hinge-to-liftgate nuts and adjust the liftgate as necessary. Tighten the nuts to 7-9 ft. lbs. (9-12 Nm).