Removal & Installation
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9
The ball joint is an integral component of the lower control arm and cannot be serviced separately.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the front wheel and tire assembly.
- Loosen the lower control arm-to-chassis bolt and washer at the frame bracket.
- Remove the ball joint clamp bolt and nut from the steering knuckle assembly.
- Remove the cotter pin and stabilizer bar bushing nut from the rear of the control arm.
- Remove the rear bushing washer and bushing. Discard the cotter pin.
- Lower the control arm, prying the ball joint stud out of the steering knuckle if necessary.
- Disengage and remove the control arm from the stabilizer bar end and remove from the vehicle.
- If the lower control arm is to be reused, inspect the control arm bushings for damage or excessive wear. Verify that the ball joint swivels freely, but is not loose.
- Replace the lower control arm as required.
- Position the front bushing washer and bushing onto the stabilizer bar end. Engage the lower control arm with the stabilizer bar.
- Raise the control arm inner end into the pivot bracket on the frame and start the pivot bolt to hold the control arm in place. Do not completely tighten the bolt at this time.
- Engage the control arm ball joint stud with the clamp bore in the steering knuckle, and install the clamp bolt and nut. Do not tighten yet.
- Install the stabilizer bar rear bushing and washer onto the stabilizer bar end with the retaining nut. Tighten the retaining nut to 47-57 ft. lbs. (64-77 Nm). Install a new cotter pin.
- Tighten the lower arm-to-chassis bolt at the frame bracket to 32-40 ft. lbs. (43-54 Nm).
- Hold the clamp bolt stationary and tighten the clamp nut to 32-40 ft. lbs. (43-54 Nm).
- Install the wheel and tire assembly.
- Check the front wheel alignment.
CONTROL ARM BUSHING REPLACEMENT
See Figure 10
- Remove the lower control arm.
- Use C-frame tool T74P-3044-A1, bushing tool T81P-5493-B and receiver cup tool T88C-5493-E, or equivalents, to remove the bushing from the control arm.
- Center the new bushing in the center of the control arm eye and install using the same tools.
- Install the lower control arm.