REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Matchmark the spark plug wires to their respective towers on the distributor cap.
- Disconnect the spark plug wires from the cap.
- Loosen the distributor caps hold-down screws.
- Remove the distributor cap.
- Grasp the rotor and pull it from the shaft.
- Position the rotor on the shaft and press it firmly, but gently, until firmly seated.
- Position the cap on the distributor and fasten the hold-down screws.
- Install the spark plug wires.
- Start the vehicle and check for proper operation.
- Remove the distributor cap and rotor.
- Wash the inside and outside of the cap, as well as the rotor, with soap and water, then dry them thoroughly with compressed air or a lint-free cloth.
- Look closely at the distributor cap, inspecting it for signs of deterioration such as cracks, a broken carbon button or carbon tracks.
- Inspect the terminals for dirt or corrosion.
- Inspect the rotor for carbon build-up, cracks or damage to the blade or spring.
- If damage is found, replace the distributor cap and/or rotor.