Removal & Installation
See Figures 1 and 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Matchmark the steering column lower universal joint and steering rack pinion for assembly reference. Remove the steering column and intermediate shaft assembly from the vehicle.
- Remove the floor set plate bolts and the floor set plate.
- Cut the plastic tie wrap securing the steering column boot to the steering rack.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the front wheel and tire assemblies.
- Using a suitable puller, separate both tie rod ends from the steering knuckles.
- Remove the catalytic converter.
- Remove the plastic splash shield from the right inner fender.
- Remove the two steering rack mounting bolts and lower the steering rack until it is free of the steering column boot.
- Slide the rack to the right, through the inner fender opening until the left tie rod is clear of the left inner fender, then lower the left end until the steering rack assembly can be withdrawn from the left side of the vehicle.
While maneuvering the tie rod boots in and out of the inner fender openings, guide the steering rack assembly carefully to avoid cutting or nicking the boots.
- Remove the steering column intermediate shaft coupling bolt and the coupling from the steering rack.
- Install the steering column intermediate shaft coupling and retaining bolts to the steering rack and tighten to 13-20 ft. lbs. (18-26 Nm).
- Position the steering rack by starting the right side tie rod end through the right inner fender opening far enough to insert the left end of the steering gear assembly into the left front fender opening. Adjust the positioning of the steering rack to the left, being careful not to snag the bellows.
- Align the intermediate shaft coupling with the steering column boot. Raise the steering rack fully into position.
- Install the left steering rack mounting bolt, followed by the right steering rack mounting bolt. Tighten the bolts to 27-38 ft. lbs. (37-52 Nm).
- Connect the tie rod ends to the steering knuckles. Install and tighten the tie rod end nuts to 31-42 ft. lbs. (42-57 Nm). Install new cotter pins.
- Attach the right side splash shield on the right inner fender panel.
- Install the catalytic converter.
- Install the tire and wheel assemblies.
- Secure the steering column boot to the steering rack housing with a new tie wrap.
- Install the floor set plate and bolts.
- Align the matchmarks made on the steering column lower universal joint and the steering rack pinion shaft. Install the steering column when the proper alignment is achieved.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Check the front end alignment.
- Road test the vehicle and check for proper steering rack operation.