REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 5
The procedure for rear main seal removal and installation is the same for both engines.
The following procedure requires a specific Ford design seal remover, or equivalent aftermarket version.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove transaxle and flexplate/flywheel using the recommended procedure.
- Using a sharp awl, punch a hole in the rear oil seal metal surface between the oil seal lip and the oil seal retainer.
- Screw the threaded end of a seal remover into the oil seal, then install a slide hammer and remove the seal from the crankshaft oil seal retainer.
- Clean all sealing surfaces.
- Lubricate the crankshaft, oil seal bore and the lip of the seal with Engine Assembly Lubricant D9AZ-19579-D or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESR-M99C80-A.
- Install the oil seal using an appropriate seal installer. Seat the seal flush to the rear of the crankshaft oil seal retainer.
- Reinstall the transaxle and flexplate/flywheel using the recommended procedure.
- Reconnect the negative battery cable.
- Start the engine and check for leaks.