The coolant level sensor is located in the recovery tank and operates a warning lamp on the instrument cluster when the coolant level reaches below a specified level.
- Check the appropriate fuse before attempting any other diagnostics.
- Check the level of the coolant recovery tank, if it is low, fill it to the appropriate level and check the status of the warning lamp.
- Remove the coolant level sensor as described below.
- Place the sensor into a full container of a fluid (preferably water) with the sensor tip submerged into the fluid. Using an ohmmeter, check for continuity of the sensor, if no continuity exists, replace the sensor and retest. If continuity exists, repair the wiring and/or warning lamp as necessary.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain and recycle the engine coolant.
- Unplug the sensor connector.
- Remove the coolant recovery tank.
- Remove the coolant level sensor from the tank.
- Install the coolant level sensor into the coolant recovery tank.
- Install the coolant recovery tank.
- Plug the sensor connector in.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Fill the engine with coolant.
- Start the engine, allow it to reach operating temperature, bleed the cooling system and check for leaks.
- Verify the operation of the warning lamp.