See Figure 1
The oil pressure sensor is located on the engine block and operates the oil pressure warning lamp, not a gauge.
See Figure 2
- Test and verify the engine oil pressure. See Engine & Engine Overhaul for more information. If no or insufficient pressure exists, oil pressure problem exists and gauge and sensor are operational, repair oil pressure problem.
- Check the appropriate fuse before attempting any other diagnostics.
- Unplug the sensor electrical harness.
- Using an ohmmeter, check continuity between the sensor terminals.
- With the engine stopped, continuity should not exist.
The switch inside the oil pressure sensor opens at 6 psi or less of pressure.
- With the engine running, continuity should exist.
- If continuity does not exist as stated, the sensor is faulty.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Locate the oil pressure sensor on the engine.
- Disconnect the sensor electrical harness.
- Unfasten and remove the sensor from the engine.
- Coat the new sensor with Teflon® tape or electrically conductive sealer.
- Install the sensor and tighten to 11-15 ft. lbs. (15-20 Nm).
- Attach the sensor's electrical connector.
- Start the engine, allow it to reach operating temperature and check for leaks.
- Check for proper sensor operation.