REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 5
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Relieve the fuel pressure using the following procedure:
- Open the fuel tank filler cap to vent off pressure in the tank.
- Remove the air cleaner assembly.
- Connect a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel pressure relief valve located on the fuel rail.
- Open the manual valve on the fuel pressure gauge and drain the fuel through the drain tube into a suitable container.
- Remove the fuel pressure gauge.
- Secure the fuel fill cap and install the air cleaner assembly.
- Remove the rear seat cushion.
- Remove the plastic grommet from the floor pan.
- Disconnect the fuel pump electrical harness.
- Disconnect the fuel lines from the fuel pump by compressing the tabs on both sides of each nylon push connect fitting and easing the fuel line off of the fuel pump.
- Using Fuel Tank Sender Wrench D84P-9275-A or equivalent, turn the fuel pump locking ring counterclockwise to loosen the ring.
A drift punch or a screwdriver or other tool can be used to disengage the fuel pump locking ring, the special tool is not required.
- Remove the fuel pump locking ring.
- Remove the fuel pump being careful not to damage the fuel gauge sending unit.
- Place a shop towel over the opening in the fuel tank to prevent dirt from contaminating the fuel.
- Remove the shop towel over the opening in the fuel tank and clean the groove for the fuel pump seal. Be careful not to allow dirt to enter the fuel tank.
- Apply a light coat of grease onto a new O-ring seal and install into the groove of the fuel tank.
- Carefully install the fuel pump into the tank to prevent damage to the fuel gauge sender or the fuel pick-up filter.
It is recommended that the in-line fuel filter be replaced whenever a fuel pump is being replaced.
- Ensure that the flange of the fuel pump mounting plate is located properly in its keyway and that the O-ring has not shifted out of position.
- Keep a light downward pressure on the fuel pump while installing the fuel pump locking retainer ring.
- Install the ring ensuring that all of the locking tabs are under the fuel tank lock ring tabs. Turn the ring clockwise finger-tight.
- Install the fuel tank sender wrench or equivalent, over the retainer ring and finish tightening until the retainer ring is resting against its stops.
- Reconnect the fuel lines to the fuel pump.
- Reinstall the fuel pump electrical harness connector.
- Reinstall the plastic grommet into the floorpan.
- Reinstall the rear seat cushion.
- Reconnect the negative battery cable.
- Start the engine and check for leaks and proper operation.
See Figure 6
- Check all hoses and lines for kinks and leaking. Repair as necessary.
- Check all electrical connections for looseness and corrosion. Repair as necessary.
- Turn the ignition key from the OFF position to the RUN position several times (do not start the engine) and verify that the pump runs briefly each time, (you will here a low humming sound from the fuel tank).
Check that the inertia switch is reset before diagnosing power supply problems to the fuel pump.
The use of a scan tool is required to perform these tests.
- Turn the ignition key OFF .
- Connect a suitable fuel pressure gauge to the fuel test port (Schrader valve) on the fuel rail.
- Connect the scan tool and turn the ignition key ON but do not start the engine.
- Following the scan tool manufacturer's instructions, enter the output test mode and run the fuel pump to obtain the maximum fuel pressure.
- The fuel pressure should be between 30-40 psi (310-415 kPa).
- If the fuel pressure is within specification the pump is working properly. If not, continue with the test.
- Check the pump ground connection and service as necessary.
- Turn the ignition key ON .
- Using the scan tool, enter output test mode and turn on the fuel pump circuit.
- Using a Digital Volt Ohmmeter (DVOM), check for voltage (approximately 10.5 volts) at the fuel pump electrical connector.
- If the pump is getting a good voltage supply, the ground connection is good and the fuel pressure is not within specification, then replace the pump.