REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable and remove the air cleaner and air outlet tube.
- Detach the 19-pin connector from the HCU to the wire harness and detach the 4-pin connector from the HCU to the pump motor relay.
- Remove the 2 lines from the inlet ports and the 4 lines from the outlet ports of the HCU. Plug each port to prevent brake fluid from spilling onto the paint and wiring.
- Remove the 3 nuts retaining the HCU assembly to the mounting bracket and remove the assembly from the vehicle.
The nut on the front of the HCU also retains the relay mounting bracket.
See Figure 1
- Position the HCU assembly into the mounting bracket. Install the 3 retaining nuts and tighten to 12-18 ft. lbs. (16-24 Nm). Make sure the ABS pump motor relay bracket is retained by the front bracket nut.
- Connect the 4 lines to the outlet ports on the side of the HCU and the 2 lines to the inlet ports on the rear of the HCU. Tighten the line fittings to 10-18 ft. lbs. (14-24 Nm).
- Attach the 19-pin connector to the harness and the 4-pin connector to the pump motor relay.
- Install the air cleaner and air outlet tube.
- Connect the battery cables, properly bleed the brake system and check for fluid leaks.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Detach the anti-lock brake control module electrical connectors.
- Disconnect and plug the hydraulic brake lines.
- Remove the HCU retaining bolts and remove the HCU.
- If necessary, remove the HCU bracket.
- If removed, install the HCU bracket.
- Position the HCU.
- Install and tighten the retaining bolts.
- Connect the hydraulic brake lines.
- Attach the anti-lock brake control module electrical connectors.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Bleed the 4-wheel ABS, as outlined in this section.