REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
1989-91 Models Only
On 1992 and later models, the neutral safety switch is incorporated into the Manual Lever Position or Transmission Range MLP/TR sensor. Refer to the MLP/TR sensor procedure in this section.
The neutral safety switch is located on the transmission case above the manual lever.
- Set the parking brake.
- Place the selector lever in the manual L position.
- Remove the air cleaner assembly.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the neutral safety switch electrical harness from the switch by lifting the harness straight up off the switch without side-to-side motion.
- Reach in the area of the left hand dash panel, using a 24 inch extension, universal adapter and socket tool T74P-77247-A or equivalent, and remove the neutral safety switch and O-ring.
Use of different tools could crush or puncture the walls of the switch.To install:
- Install the neutral safety switch and new O-ring using socket tool T74P-77247-A or equivalent.
- Tighten the switch to 8-11 ft. lbs. (11-15 Nm).
- Connect the neutral safety switch to the wiring harness.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Check that the vehicle starts in the N or P position.
No adjustment is possible on the neutral safety switch.