REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Open the trunk lid.
- Mark the position of the trunk lid relative to the trunk lid hinges.
- Protect the body with covers to prevent damage to the paint.
- With the help of an assistant, remove the 2 bolts attaching each hinge to the trunk lid, being careful not to let the trunk lid slip when the bolts are removed.
- Remove the trunk lid from the vehicle.
- With the help of an assistant, position the trunk lid on its hinges and install the attaching bolts.
- Remove the body covers.
- Adjust the trunk lid's position in the trunk lid opening.
- Adjust the trunk lid latch and/or striker, if necessary.
See Figures 1 and 2
ALIGNMENTTrunk Lid Alignment
The trunk lid can be shifted fore-and-aft by loosening the hinge-to-trunk lid retaining screws. The up and down adjustment is made by loosening the hinge-to-trunk lid retaining screws and raising or lowering the trunk lid.
The trunk lid should be adjusted for an even and parallel fit with the trunk lid opening. The trunk lid should also be adjusted up and down for a flush fit with the surrounding panels. Be careful not to damage the trunk lid or surrounding body panels.
Trunk Lid Latch/Striker
The latch assembly is fixed and not adjustable on all vehicles except 1989-91 Grand Marquis. Any latch adjustment must be made at the striker.EXCEPT 1989-91 GRAND MARQUIS
Before adjusting the striker, open and close the trunk lid to double-check the striker alignment.
- On 1992-98 Crown Victoria, remove the scuff plate striker covering before attempting any striker adjustment.
- Loosen the 2 screw and washer assemblies and adjust the striker by moving up and down or from side-to-side as necessary.
- Tighten the screw and washer assemblies to 7-10 ft. lbs. (9-14 Nm).
Do not try to correct a poor trunk lid alignment with a latch striker adjustment.1989-91 GRAND MARQUIS
The striker can be adjusted up and down and the latch can be adjusted side-to-side.
- Before adjusting the trunk lid make sure the trunk lid is properly aligned.
- To adjust the striker, loosen the retaining screws, move the striker as required to enter the latch assembly without deflecting the trunk lid sideways, and tighten the retaining screws.
- Move the striker plate up or down as necessary to provide proper trunk lid seal between the trunk lid and the lower back panel.