Ford power steering fluid part number E6AZ-19582-AA or equivalent, or Type F automatic transmission fluid should be used.
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Run the engine until the fluid reaches a normal operating temperature of 165-175°F (74-79°C).
- Turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and right, several times.
- Shut the engine OFF .
- On vehicles with the 4.6L engine, check the fluid level in the power steering fluid reservoir. The reservoir is translucent, enabling the fluid level to be checked without removing the reservoir cap. The fluid level should be between the MIN and MAX marks on the side of the reservoir.
- On vehicles with 5.0L or 5.8L engines, wipe away any accumulated dirt or grease, then remove the dipstick from the power steering fluid reservoir. Wipe the dipstick with a clean cloth, reinsert it fully into the reservoir, then remove it. The fluid level should be within the FULL HOT range on the dipstick if the fluid is at normal operating temperature, within the FULL COLD range if it is not.
- If the fluid level is low, add the specified fluid, being careful not to overfill. Be sure to wipe away any accumulated dirt or grease before removing the reservoir cap.