REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Vehicles with Automatic Temperature Control
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Remove the instrument panel pad as follows:
- Remove the 2 screws attaching the pad to the instrument panel at each defroster opening. Be careful not to drop the screws into the defroster openings.
- Remove the one screw attaching each outboard end of the pad to the instrument panel.
- On Crown Victoria, remove one pad attaching screw near the upper right corner of the glove compartment door.
- Remove the 5 screws attaching the lower edge of the pad to the instrument panel. Pull the instrument panel pad rearward and remove it from the vehicle.
- Remove the 2 mounting screws from the sensor.
- Remove the control cable housing-to-sensor attachment screw.
- Disconnect the cable end loop from the lever arm and remove the cable from the sensor.
Secure the control cable with tape or wire to prevent it from falling from sight behind the instrument panel.
- Disconnect the sensor vacuum harness from the servo vacuum harness.
- Remove the ambient air hose from the end of the sensor by rotating the sensor in a clockwise direction.
- Remove the sensor from the vehicle.
- Connect the ambient air hose to the sensor by turning it counterclockwise.
- Route and attach the vacuum harness connector to the jumper line connector. Make sure the locking tab is snapped onto the jumper line connector.
- Position the sensor to the screw mounting bosses and install the mounting screws.
Use a mirror to help align the sensor screw holes to the mounting bosses. If necessary, position a trouble light on the windshield for additional light. A small amount of body caulk in the end of the ratchet socket will help prevent the screws from falling from the socket.
- Remove the tape or wire securing the cable and connect the control cable to the lever arm. Loosely install the attaching screw. Adjust the cable according to the procedure in this Section.
- Do not block the sensor aspirator exhaust port with the excess vacuum harness.
- Install the instrument panel pad and connect the negative battery cable. Check the system for proper operation.
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the left and right instrument panel mouldings.
- Remove the cluster finish panel screws made visible in Step 2 as well as the 6 screws along the top surface of the cluster finish panel.
- Pull off the knob from the headlight auto dim switch.
Remove the headlight switch shaft as follows:
- Locate the headlight switch assembly body under the instrument panel.
- Push the spring loaded shaft release button located on the side of the switch body and simultaneously pull out the headlight switch shaft.
- Remove 2 screws on the left side, one screw on the right side and the 3 screws from the bottom and remove the steering column close out bolster panel.
- Remove the 2 screws retaining the steering column close out bolster panel bracket and remove the bracket.
Lower the steering column as follows:
- Place the gearshift lever in 1 .
- Remove the transmission range indicator cable from the steering column arm and remove the bolt from the steering column transmission range indicator bracket. Remove the transmission range indicator cable assembly.
- Remove the 4 nuts retaining the steering column and let the steering column rest on the front seat.
- Detach the electrical connectors from the accessory pushbutton switches and remove the cluster finish panel.
- Remove the top 2 screws from the center finish panel. Gently rock the top of the center finish panel back while unsnapping the bottom tabs from the instrument panel. Detach the electrical connector from the clock and remove the center finish panel.
- Grasp the sensor, remove the 2 screws and rotate the sensor down and out of the instrument panel.
- Detach the electrical connector and the air hose from the sensor.
- Connect the electrical lead and the air hose to the sensor.
- Position the sensor on the instrument panel and install the 2 retaining screws.
- Attach the clock electrical connector. Snap in the bottom of the center finish panel and secure the top of the panel with the 2 screws.
- Attach the electrical connectors and install the cluster finish panel.
- Raise the steering column and install the 4 nuts to the steering column bracket. Tighten the nuts to 9-14 ft. lbs. (13-19 Nm).
- Install the bolt to the steering column transmission range indicator bracket and connect the transmission range indicator cable to the steering column arm.
- Install the steering column close out bolster panel bracket and secure with the 2 screws. Install the steering column close out bolster panel.
- Install the cluster finish panel screws.
- Install the headlight switch knob/shaft assembly, which is a snap lock fit. Install the headlight auto dim knob.
- Snap the left and right instrument panel mouldings in place.
- Connect the negative battery cable and check the system for proper operation.
See Figures 2 and 3