REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the rear axle shaft; refer to Drive Train .
- Disconnect the brake cable from the lever.
- Remove the brake shoe retaining springs and pins.
- Set the adjuster assembly to the shortest length. Pull the shoes away from the backing plate slightly and spread them enough to remove the adjuster assembly.
- Remove the upper return (adjuster) spring.
- Lift the shoes over the support and remove the shoes and actuating lever as an assembly. Make sure the lever does not damage the boot or pull the boot out of position.
- Disassemble the shoes, lever and springs.
See Figures 1 and 2
- Install the lower return springs and actuating lever to the brake shoes.
- Make sure the boot is properly positioned in the backing plate. Install the shoes by first inserting the lever through the boot, then lowering the shoes into position.
- Install the upper return (adjuster) spring and install the adjuster assembly.
- Install the brake shoe retaining springs and pins.
- Connect the brake cable to the lever.
- Install the rear axle shaft.
- Center the brake shoes on the backing plate. Using an 8 in. micrometer or calipers, gauge the brake shoes to the dimensions shown in the accompanying figure.
See Figure 3