Removal & Installation
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the screws attaching the cowl vent screen to the top of the cowl.
- Separate the engine compartment cowl seal strip from the cowl vent screen and the cowl dash extension panel in the area of the ignition control module.
- Lift the cowl vent screen off to allow access to the ignition control module/TFI module assembly.
- Disengage the engine control sensor wiring connector from the ICM or TFI, as applicable.
- Remove the two retaining nuts attaching the ICM/TFI and heatsink to the dash panel, then remove the ICM/TFI and the heatsink.
- Remove the two module retaining screws, then remove the ICM or TFI from the heatsink.
- While holding the module connector shroud with one hand, pull the seal off the other end of the module.
- Coat the metal base of the ICM or TFI module uniformly with Silicone Dielectric Compound D7AZ-19A331-A or equivalent, about 1 / 32 in. (0.79mm) thick.
- Place the module onto the heatsink. Install the retaining screws, then tighten them to 15-35 inch lbs. (1.7-4.0 Nm).
- Push the seal over the module connector shroud and heatsink studs with the metal part toward the heatsink.
- Insert the module and heatsink into the cowl dash extension panel enough to have the mounting studs protrude into the engine compartment side.
- Hand-tighten the retaining nuts to 44-70 inch lbs. (5-8 Nm).
- Engage the engine control sensor wiring connector to the module.
- Install the cowl vent screen and retaining screws, then install the engine compartment cowl panel and seal strip.
- Connect the negative battery cable.